Israeli Army: Syrian govt responsible for Tuesday's Golan Heights attack
The Israeli army released a statement via Twitter blaming Tuesday's explosions in Golan Heights on the Syrian government, according to Agence France Presse.
“We hold the Syrian military responsible for the explosion that wounded 3 #IDF soldiers earlier today," said the Israeli Army on its Twitter feed.
The statement follows Tuesday's attack in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights in which an explosion left three Israeli soldiers wounded near the Israeli-Syrian border. An army jeep located near the ceasefire line with Syria was also damaged in the attack. The Israeli military suspects that the blast was from a roadside bomb planted near the border fence.
In response to the attack, the military has already fired shells at Syrian army posts and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel will "act forcefully to defend itself."
The Golan Heights has been hit by shells as part of the spillover effect of the war in Syria. However,growing tensions between Israel and pro-Assad Hezbollah have escalated tension on the Golan Heights border as well.
- Israel confirms overnight bomb raid on Syrian army positions in Golan Heights
- Israel pledges response to any attack in Golan Heights: report
- Israeli warplanes continue airstrikes on Syrian army in Golan
- Israel retaliates after Syrian shells hit Golan Heights
- Israeli military targets Syrian army posts after Golan shelling