Israel, Hamas clashes continue in Gaza Strip for 16th day
Israel and Hamas vowed to keep fighting on Sunday, ignoring international calls to stop the Gaza Strip conflict. Israel sent tanks deeper into the Hamas-ruled coastal enclave and threatened to intensify its air and ground assaults.
According to Reuters, Palestinian witnesses reported heavy fighting east of the city of Gaza where Hamas fighters fired anti-tank missiles and mortar bombs at advancing Israeli forces who responded with tank shells and air strikes. Israeli air strikes killed three Palestinians, medical workers said. At least one of the dead was identified as a Hamas member.
Tank fire killed a woman in Nusseirat, central Gaza, medical officials said. Israeli shelling of two villages in south Gaza killed a woman and set 15 houses on fire, witnesses said. About 50 people suffered from burns and gas inhalation, they said.
A total of 846 Palestinians and thirteen Israelis have been killed since the offensive began on Dec. 27.
- Israeli fire kills another Palestinian in Gaza Strip as Hamas vows avenge
- Two Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip and Nablus, eight others injured; Three Palestinians die of wounds
- Israel continues shelling of Gaza: Fourth consecutive day
- Palestinian groups vow revenge for assassinations in Jenin as PA, Hamas fighting continues in north Gaza Strip
- Israeli missile attacks kill five Palestinians in Gaza Strip