Israel on high alert as settler dead in Gaza Strip
Two Israeli settlers were wounded Friday morning when four mortar shells were fired at the Neveh Dekalim settlement in the Gaza Strip.
One of the shells struck a home on the settlement, seriously wounding one woman. The second woman sustained light wounds, Israeli sources said. Later, the settler died of her wounds.
The house hit by the mortars also sustained heavy damage.
Also Friday, the Israeli army destroyed Palestinian buildings close to the Morag settlement in the Gaza Strip, Israel Radio reported.
Meanwhile, Israeli forces have raised their state of alert in preparation for the "Yom Kippur" holiday, which starts at sundown Friday and lasts until Saturday night.
Following an internal briefing, Israel's Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz ordered the closure on the occupied territories to remain in place at least until after "Yom Kippur," the holiest day of the Jewish calender. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israeli fire kills two Hamas operatives in Gaza Strip
- Two Palestinians shot dead in West Bank as settler dies of wounds
- High alert in Israel, occupied territories under full closure
- Palestinian Injured by Israeli Settler’s Fire in Hebron
- Gaza Strip: Four Palestinians, including physician, Israeli officer killed