Israel to release third group of Palestinian prisoners next week, announce new settlement construction
Israel previously released some Palestinian prisoners as part of the ongoing peace talks in August and October (File Archive)
Israel will release the third group of Palestinian prisoners next week as part of ongoing peace talks, but is also planning to announce new settlement construction by the end of the year, according to Agence France-Presse.
An Israeli official told AFP on the condition of anonymity that "The Israeli government will announce tenders for new construction in the West Bank and in East Jerusalem which will coincide with the release of a third group of Palestinian prisoners."
The first two groups of prisoners were released in August and October, respectively. Like the tentative third group case, Israel announced new construction plans during both releases which has provoked tension with Palestine and has largely undermined the legitimacy of the ongoing peace talks.
- Israel announces 26 names of Palestinian prisoners set to be released this week
- Israel to release two Palestinian prisoners on condition of exile
- Kerry to Meet Abbas in West Bank next week
- Peace talks progress as Israel mulls over Palestinian prisoners release
- Palestinians: Israeli Announcement of New Talks ‘Premature’