Israel to release third group of Palestinian prisoners next week, announce new settlement construction
Israel will release the third group of Palestinian prisoners next week as part of ongoing peace talks, but is also planning to announce new settlement construction by the end of the year, according to Agence France-Presse.
An Israeli official told AFP on the condition of anonymity that "The Israeli government will announce tenders for new construction in the West Bank and in East Jerusalem which will coincide with the release of a third group of Palestinian prisoners."
The first two groups of prisoners were released in August and October, respectively. Like the tentative third group case, Israel announced new construction plans during both releases which has provoked tension with Palestine and has largely undermined the legitimacy of the ongoing peace talks.
- Abbas agrees to extend peace talks if Israel freezes settlement building
- Israel announces 26 names of Palestinian prisoners set to be released this week
- Israel to release second batch of Palestinian prisoners
- Netanyahu rejects early release of Palestinian prisoners
- Israel releases 500 Palestinian prisoners