Palestinian man shot dead at Jordan's Allenby Bridge border crossing
Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian man at the Allenby Bridge crossing with Jordan on Monday, Israel's army and witnesses said.
An Israeli army spokeswoman said "a Palestinian attempted to the seize the weapon of an Israeli soldier at the Allenby Bridge crossing with Jordan. Israeli soldiers opened fire and a hit was identified."
Palestinian sources identified the man as Raed Alaa Addin Zieter, 38, from Nablus. He had reportedly left the occupied West Bank in 2011 and had not returned since.
The incident occurred at the first Israeli checkpoint while crossing from Jordan into the occupied West Bank.
Talks are ongoing about returning the body to the West Bank for burial.
Ofer Lefler, spokesman for the Israel Airports Authority which is responsible for all border crossings, said the frontier had been closed in the wake of the attack.
- Palestinian killed at Allenby was a Jordanian judge
- Jordanian judge buried in Nablus, Israel expresses "regret" for death
- Jordan: IDF lying about Allenby incident, dead judge did not try to seize soldier's gun
- Syrian army seizes Israeli border crossing
- West Bank: Israeli soldier, Palestinian man killed