Israel will not release Palestinian prisoners as promised
Israel will not go ahead with the release of a batch of Palestinian prisoners as promised, AFP reports.
The prisoner release, part of the ongoing peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians, was set to take place on Saturday. In a deal brokered last July, Israel agreed to release 104 Arab prisoners in exchange for a promise from the Palestinians that they would not push their statehood claims at the United Nations.
“The Israeli government has informed us through the American mediator that it will not abide with its commitment to release the fourth batch of Palestinians prisoners scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday 29,” Jibril Rajub told AFP.
- Israel announces 26 names of Palestinian prisoners set to be released this week
- Palestinians reject proposal to extend talks
- Abbas "exerting all effort" to release remaining prisoners, but Israel says delay to go on "for a number of days"
- Israel to release second batch of Palestinian prisoners
- Abbas: Palestinians will never give up their rights