Israel cancels prisoner release
A source close to the talks said Thursday that Israel will not be releasing Palestinian prisoners, AFP reports.
Israeli officials site Abbas’ recent move to pursue U.N. membership as their reason for canceling the prisoner release, according to AFP.
Israel was supposed to release 26 prisoners last weekend, but delayed when peace talks faltered.
A recent meeting between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in Jerusalem today yielded no results.
- Israel will not release Palestinian prisoners as promised
- Palestinians reject proposal to extend talks
- Israel OKs release of 90 Fatah detainees
- Olmert, Abbas hold talks: Israel to free 250 prisoners on Friday
- Abbas "exerting all effort" to release remaining prisoners, but Israel says delay to go on "for a number of days"