Israeli settlements doubled in 2013
The Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics recently released a report that revealed illegal construction of settlements in the West Bank have doubled in 2013.
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon has reportedly approved 19 new plans for settlements.
The surge in construction may be the work of Uri Ariel, the current Minister of Housing, who took office 2013. Last year over 2,000 housing units were launched as opposed to only 1,000 in 2012.
According to the date collected in this most recent survey, 2013 has the highest level of construction since 2000 when the data was first collected.
- Israel issues tenders for construction of about 1,000 new housing units in West Bank settlements
- PLO official condemns illegal Israeli settlements
- Israel plans to expand settlements, to build fence along West Bank border
- Group: Israel continues to build in settlements
- Israel approves new settlement construction