Israel Returns Body of Lebanese Pilot
Israel returned the body of a Lebanese pilot to his homeland on Monday, said reports.
The body of Ohannis Nicolian was handed over to representatives from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) at the Rosh Hanikra border crossing to Lebanon at 11:00am, said Haaretz newspaper.
Israeli military planes shot down the plane flown by Nicolian, an aviation student, on May 24, a year after Israel withdrew from south Lebanon after a 22-year occupation.
Israel said the pilot failed to respond to radio calls and signals from airforce pilots to land and feared the pilot was deliberately flying towards heavily populated central Israel with the intention of crashing into an Israeli city – Albawaba.com
- ICRC Mediates with Israel on Returning Pilot's Body to Lebanon
- Twenty bodies to return to Lebanon after summer plane crash
- UN blames Hizbullah for flare up; Lebanese PM calls Israel to return bodies
- UN Blasts Israel Violations of Lebanese Airspace
- Israel returns bodies of Hizbullah fighters following Lebanon request