Israel to step up assassinations and arrests; Palestinian boy, girl shot dead
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz ordered during the weekend the Israeli army and the Shin Bet to step up the assassinations and arrests of Palestinian activists, Israeli media reports said. This order came following Friday attack on the West Bank settlement of Otniel, which left four Israelis dead.
Meanwhile, Israeli soldiers killed an eight-year-old Palestinian boy Sunday in the West Bank town of Tulkarem during a stone-throwing clash, Palestinian officials said.
The boy, Abdel Karim Salameh, died when Israeli forces fired at a group of school students who were hurling stones at the soldiers, Palestinian security and hospital officials said. An 11-year-old boy was wounded, they said.
Elsewhere, Palestinian medical workers said Israeli soldiers in the Gaza Strip on Saturday shot dead a nine-year-Palestinian girl, Hanneen Abu Suleiman, as she played outside her home in the town of Khan Yunis.
Witnesses said there was no fighting going on, when troops suddenly opened fire from a nearby Jewish settlement. An 11-year-old girl was also injured in Khan Yunis town, Palestinian medics said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian boy killed in West Bank, four Israeli soldiers wounded
- Israeli soldiers kill five Palestinians, including boy and girl, in West Bank, Gaza Strip
- 10 Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip, W. Bank; Israeli soldier shot dead
- Gaza Strip: Palestinian girl killed, four settlers injured
- Gaza Strip: Israeli troops kill Palestinian woman, girl