Israel threatens Syria over gunfire in the contested Golan Heights
Israel has vowed an "immediate" response to the gunfire from Syria, which hit the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights on Saturday, Al Jazeera reported.
The Jewish state's new defense minister, Moshe Yaalon, said any breach of "Israeli sovereignity" would be blamed on the Syrian regime's army and that his government would consider President Assad as responsible.
"We view with great seriousness the shooting last night and this morning from Syria at an IDF force on territory of the state of Israel," Yaalon said on Sunday.
It was unclear whether the shots fired in to Israeli territory came from the Syrian army or from the opposition fighters. Although they did not cause any casualties, Israel has so far responded by firing anti-tank missiles at a nearby Syrian army post.
Prior to the 1967 Six-Day War, Syria had control over the Golan Heights. Israel took the strip of land after winning the war but the acquisition was never recognized internationally and the area is still disputed.