Israeli Army Shoots 10 Shells into South Lebanon
The Israeli army fired 10 shells into south Lebanon Friday, but no one was injured, UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) sources told AFP.
The shells were fired from the disputed Shabaa Farms territory, the source said.
The UNIFIL source was not aware of any activity along the Lebanese side of the border which is under the de facto control of the radical Shiite Hizbollah movement since the Israeli army withdrew from south Lebanon last May after 22 years.
Since Israel's withdrawal, Hizbollah has launched several attacks on Israeli forces in the Shabaa Farms region, kidnapping three soldiers on October 7 in addition to killing two soldiers.
Israel captured the Shabaa Farms from Syria in the June 1967 War, but Syria ceded its claim to Lebanon last May -- TYRE, Lebanon(AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syria may cede control of Shaba Farms to Lebanon, forcing Israel to withdraw
- Israel shells south Lebanon in retaliation for bomb targeting Israeli soldiers
- Lebanon's army clamps down on rocket attacks to Israel
- Israel shells south Lebanon
- 10 Palestinians Wounded in Israeli Shelling in West Bank, Gaza Strip