Israeli cabinet approves compensation for settlers
The Israeli Cabinet on Sunday approved legislation to pay compensation to settlers "uprooted" by Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's so-called "Gaza Strip withdrawal plan".
The 13-6 vote gave Sharon another boost as he pushes forward with the contentious scheme. He faces an important battle on Tuesday, when the parliament will vote on the withdrawal.
The legislation approved Sunday includes guidelines for compensating settlers forced from their homes and penalties for settlers who resist evacuation orders. The Israeli leader plans to carry out the withdrawals next summer. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel security cabinet approves settlers compensation advances
- Sharon vows to crash settler resistance to evacuation plan
- Jewish settlers in Gaza Strip encouraged to leave homes by summer
- Sharon ready to take ''unprecedented'' measures to pass disengagement plan
- Israeli parliament members vote against Sharon announcement on ''disengagement plan''