Israeli Court Top Judge Names Committee Members to Inquire into Killing of Arab Citizens
Israeli Supreme Court President Aharon Barak has informed the government that he has chosen the members of the state commission of inquiry that will examine the recent events in the Israeli Arab sector in which 13 Israeli Arabs were killed, reported The Jerusalem Post Wednesday.
Supreme Court Justice Theodore Orr will chair the commission. His deputy will be Nazareth District Court Vice-President Sahel Jarrah. The third member of the commission will be former ambassador and noted Middle East expert Professor Shimon Shamir, according to the paper.
Arab MKs have demanded that a public committee be formed to investigate what they called deliberate killing of the Arab citizens of Israel who demonstrated in solidarity with the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
MK Ahmad Tibi had told Albawaba.com that he and his colleagues refused to cooperate with the special committee proposed in October because it had no power to prosecute those involved in the killings, and they also protested its composition – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arab Israeli Mother Attacks Policeman Accused of Killing Son
- Barak Sets Up State Commission to Investigate Killings of Arab-Israelis
- Arab MK: We Demand Official Probe into Killings of Israeli Arabs
- Arab MKs Refuse to Cooperate with Israeli ‘Commission of Inquiry’
- Arab MK Refuses to Meet with Israeli President