Israeli drone hits Syrian army in Golan Heights, kills one
Syrian military positions have been targeted in an Israeli drone attack in the southwestern Syrian province of Quneitra located in the Golan Heights.
At least one person was killed and five more wounded in the Saturday attack which took place in the province’s Khan Arnabah district.
Last week, the Syrian army announced that it had shot down an Israeli warplane and a drone inside Syria following an Israeli attack on Syrian army positions.
Syrian forces are currently engaged in a battle against rebel militants in the Golan Heights.
Syria says Israel and its Western and regional allies are aiding militant groups operating inside the Arab country. Moreover, the Syrian army has repeatedly seized huge quantities of Israeli-made weapons and advanced military equipment from the fmilitants inside Syria.
Israel seized the Golan Heights from Syria after the 1967 Six-Day War and later occupied it in a move that has never been recognized by the international community.
The regime has built tens of illegal settlements in the area ever since and has used the region to carry out a number of military operations against the Syrian government.
- Israeli drone strike kills five pro-government troops in Syria: monitor
- UPDATE: Israeli airstrikes on Golan Heights kills nine Hezbollah fighters
- Syrian gunfire hits Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- Border fire leaves teen dead in Golan Heights
- Israeli warplanes continue airstrikes on Syrian army in Golan