Israeli incursion in Tulkarem; Two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip
For the second time in 48 hours, the Israeli army occupied the West Bank city of Tulkarem, an army spokesman said. Israel's Army Radio reported that 30 Palestinians were arrested in the raid.
"This operation was launched in order to prevent suicide attacks which were being prepared targeting Israeli territory," he said, saying that the occupation would be for a limited time. The army, he added, was looking for "specific people and once that is done we will leave the city."
Israeli troops took over Tulkarem for a week at the beginning of April as part of the army's major sweep of the West Bank. It has raided the town several time since.
According to the Israeli army, Tulkarem is used a springboard for suicide bombers and gunmen attacking Israeli coastal towns.
Elsewhere, according to Israeli sources, Israeli soldiers killed overnight two armed Palestinians in southern Gaza Strip. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Collaborator arrested in Gaza; Israeli soldier shot dead in Gaza Strip; Two Palestinians killed in Tulkarem, Khan Yunis
- Two Palestinians killed in Tulkarem, Gaza Strip; Israeli troops start to leave Hebron
- Israeli incursion in Gaza Strip; At least two houses demolished
- Israelis Make Brief Incursion into Southern Gaza Strip
- Palestinian Shot Dead by Israeli Soldiers overnight in Gaza Strip