Israeli incursion in Tulkarem; Two Palestinians shot dead in Gaza Strip
For the second time in 48 hours, the Israeli army occupied the West Bank city of Tulkarem, an army spokesman said. Israel's Army Radio reported that 30 Palestinians were arrested in the raid.
"This operation was launched in order to prevent suicide attacks which were being prepared targeting Israeli territory," he said, saying that the occupation would be for a limited time. The army, he added, was looking for "specific people and once that is done we will leave the city."
Israeli troops took over Tulkarem for a week at the beginning of April as part of the army's major sweep of the West Bank. It has raided the town several time since.
According to the Israeli army, Tulkarem is used a springboard for suicide bombers and gunmen attacking Israeli coastal towns.
Elsewhere, according to Israeli sources, Israeli soldiers killed overnight two armed Palestinians in southern Gaza Strip. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Two Palestinian boys killed in Tulkarem; Israel arrests Palestinians in Hebron, Qalqilya
- Israeli troops kill five Palestinians in West Bank, Gaza Strip clashes
- Two Palestinians killed in West Bank; Israel cuts off movement of Palestinians in Gaza Strip
- PFLP member killed in West Bank, expulsion of 18 Palestinians to Gaza Strip delayed
- Five Palestinians injured during Israeli incursion in Jenin