Israeli lawmaker calls to deport Arafat, Abbas and Abu Mazen
It is not enough to only deport Yasser Arafat, but Israel must also remove Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas and PLC Speaker Ahmed Qurei (Abu Ala), a leading Likud lawmaker said Monday.
Speaking to Israel Radio, Yuval Steinetz, chairman of the Knesset (Israel's parliament) Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, said that all of the Palestinian officials who were involved in the Oslo Accords need to be deported to Tunis and only afterward should Israel allow elections to be held in the Palestinian territories.
Arafat appoints and fires prime ministers at his will, Steinetz said, and even if Israel were to deport the veteran leader, Abu Ala would continue to serve as a "puppet" handled by him, the Israeli official said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Following Abbas resignation letter, Sharon office says Israel not to negotiate with Arafat
- Israel kills two Palestinian civilians in West Bank, Abu Mazen says Arafat is the PA top leader
- Top Israeli army officer: Abu Ala has no reform plans as FM expects no progress in peace talks
- Arafat asks PCC to approve nomination of Abu Mazen to Prime Ministry post
- Abu Mazen demands significant powers as Palestinian PM