Israeli Ministers Clash over Planned Evacuation of 15 Settler Outposts
Israeli Public Security Minister Uzi Landau said Tuesday that Defense Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer was not authorized to make a decision to evacuate 15 settler outposts, and that the issue would be discussed in the next cabinet meeting, Israel Radio reported, cited by Haaretz newspaper.
Ben-Eliezer ordered on Monday the Israeli Army to remove 15 isolated settler outposts in the West Bank that he said constitute a security risk
"I am not ready to take responsibility for the people in those outposts getting killed," said Ben-Eliezer.
He said the Israeli Army had not been providing regular security for the outposts.
He said he did not want to remove the settlements by force, or "play cat and mouse" with the settlers, but "if necessary" he would order the army to move against the outposts.
He said that he had already spoken with Jewish settlement movement leaders and "I assume the problem will be solved within the week." - Albawaba.com
- Israel Delays Decision to Dismantle Settlement Outposts
- Jewish Settlers Agree to Dismantle 'Illegal' Outposts in West Bank
- Israel to evacuate 23 settler outposts
- Israel starts to remove settler outposts in West Bank, dismantles liaison office with Palestinians
- Israel removes vacant settler outposts; Three Palestinians shot dead