Israeli Missiles Destroy Arafat's Heliport
Israeli helicopters fired around 10 missiles at Palestinian President Yasser Arafat's heliport in Gaza City and destroyed two helicopters on Monday, Palestinian security officials said.
Israeli helicopters destroyed Yasser Arafat's presidential residence, offices, heliport in a missile strike in Gaza City on Monday, Palestinian security said.
While the Palestinian president was out of Gaza, Israeli Apache helicopters raided Palestinian targets in the north of Gaza City on Monday. The Israeli strike has started just hours after Prime Minister Ariel Sharon returned early from Washington due to a wave of suicide bombings, an AFP correspondent on the scene said.
The US-built attack helicopters fired missiles at a Palestinian security office close to the offices of Palestinian president Yasser Arafat, who was not in Gaza at the time.
Palestinian security officials fired back at the Israeli aircraft with heavy machine-guns.
“The Israeli attack is a bid to destroy the Palestinian Authority,” Ahmed Qorei said.
Israeli helicopter raids on Gaza City caused "serious damage", Arafat,s adviser, Abu Rudeina, told Turkey's NTV television, adding that the Palestinians had a right to defend themselves.
Meanwhile, the White House on Monday said that "Israel has a right to defend itself." -- AFP
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel fears bombing attack in Haifa, continues raids; Arafat slams fence construction, Condoleezza Rice
- King Abdullah Back Home after Summit with Mubarak
- Israel Launches Massive Attacks on Gaza, West Bank; US Justifies Offensive as 'Self Defense'
- US Conveys Contradictory Messages as Israel Continues with Massive Attack on Gaza, Tanks Move En Masse into West Bank
- PA: Israel Aims to Destroy Jenin Refugee Camp; Stiff Palestinian Resistance Goes On; Sharon Objects Powell–Arafat Meet