Israeli Missiles Destroy Arafat's Heliport
Israeli helicopters fired around 10 missiles at Palestinian President Yasser Arafat's heliport in Gaza City and destroyed two helicopters on Monday, Palestinian security officials said.
Israeli helicopters destroyed Yasser Arafat's presidential residence, offices, heliport in a missile strike in Gaza City on Monday, Palestinian security said.
While the Palestinian president was out of Gaza, Israeli Apache helicopters raided Palestinian targets in the north of Gaza City on Monday. The Israeli strike has started just hours after Prime Minister Ariel Sharon returned early from Washington due to a wave of suicide bombings, an AFP correspondent on the scene said.
The US-built attack helicopters fired missiles at a Palestinian security office close to the offices of Palestinian president Yasser Arafat, who was not in Gaza at the time.
Palestinian security officials fired back at the Israeli aircraft with heavy machine-guns.
“The Israeli attack is a bid to destroy the Palestinian Authority,” Ahmed Qorei said.
Israeli helicopter raids on Gaza City caused "serious damage", Arafat,s adviser, Abu Rudeina, told Turkey's NTV television, adding that the Palestinians had a right to defend themselves.
Meanwhile, the White House on Monday said that "Israel has a right to defend itself." -- AFP
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian boy shot dead in Nablus; five Palestinians injured following Israeli air strikes in Gaza Strip
- Israel Demolishes Arafat Compound in Gaza; Palestinian Shot Dead After Attacking Gaza Strip Settlement
- US Conveys Contradictory Messages as Israel Continues with Massive Attack on Gaza, Tanks Move En Masse into West Bank
- Two Palestinians die during Israeli raids
- Palestinian dead in West Bank as Israel bombs Gaza Strip