Israeli PM Sharon's deputy blasts Powell over plans to meet Geneva accord officials
A senior Israeli official Tuesday lashed out at US Secretary of State Colin Powell for plans to meet Yossi Beilin and Yasser Abed Rabbo, key architects of the non-official Geneva Accord peace initiative.
Sources in the US capital, speaking after the Accord was formally launched in ceremonies in Geneva Monday, said that Powell's office was getting ready for a meeting between the three on Friday. The two figures are expected to update Powell on the details of the peace plan.
Powell "is making a mistake," said acting Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. "I think that he is not being useful to the process."
"This is an incorrect step by a senior representative of the American administration," Olmert told Israel Radio. "I am certain of his friendship (toward Israel), but I would cast doubt on his judgement in this matter." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Israel Radio: Powell may visit Israel soon
- Israeli security services head visits Washington for talks with top US officials; Powell may soon visit Israel
- Powell to arrive in Jordan on Thursday
- Israeli police on high alert as Ramallah death toll rises; White House: '\'Roadmap'\' favored
- Palestinian officials: Powell failed