Israeli Police Destroy Palestinian Home in East Jerusalem
Israeli police on Tuesday demolished a Palestinian house in occupied east Jerusalem that the authorities claimed was built without permission, the second in eight days.
Bulldozers razed the two-storey house in the Jebel Mukkaber district following an Israeli court order to destroy the house because it was built on land to be used for a road, the police said.
Israel claims all of Jerusalem as its eternal capital, a claim not recognized by the international community, while the Palestinians want the eastern sector as the capital of an independent state they plan to declare this year.
According to a report by Amnesty International last December, 2,650 Palestinian houses have been destroyed since 1987 by Israel in the West Bank, including east Jerusalem, on the pretext of not having building permission.
The Israeli Committee Against Home Demolitions says Israel has destroyed 13 Palestinian homes since the beginning of the year - OCCUPIED JERUSALEM (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Christians for Fair Witness Challenges America Magazine's Omission of Facts in the East Jerusalem Evictions
- Israeli forces destroy home in East Jerusalem
- Israel to destroy 20,000 Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem
- Israeli forces demolish East Jerusalem home as hate crime targets Palestinian cars
- Israel destroys home of car attacker