Israeli report: Muhammad Deif - new commander of Hamas military wing
Hamas on Friday appointed Muhammad Deif the new commander of its military wing, following the killing of his predecessor, Salah Shehadeh, in a bombing strike last Tuesday, The Jerusalem Post reported Sunday.
Deif, 40, from Khan Yunis, is also known as Abu Khaled. He was Shehadeh's deputy. Deif’s name has been appearing on Israel's most wanted list and was held by the PA for several months before being released.
Palestinian sources said earlier that the new military wing chief was most likely Mohammed Deif or Adnan al-Rul, an expert in bomb and rockets production.
On Friday, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, a senior Hamas member in the Gaza Strip, announced that the military wing had appointed a new leader in place of Shehada, who was assassinated in an Israeli strike last Monday.
Rantisi, who did not reveal the identity of the new military wing chief, made the remarks at a Hamas gathering on Friday. Rantisi aired that the main goal of the new leader would be to avenge Shehada's death. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Fate of Hamas military wing chief unclear, Four Israeli injured in shooting attack
- Hamas denies top military commander killed by Israel
- Hamas activist killed in Hebron; Israeli minister says Hamas military chief is alive
- Rantisi assassination: Hamas appoints new chief in Gaza Strip, vows to destroy Israel
- Hamas to Revenge the Killing of Its Military Wing Leader in Khan Yunis