Israeli soldier commits suicide in West Bank mosque
An Israeli soldier opened fire inside a village mosque in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday before committing suicide, Palestinian witnesses said. According to AFP, the soldier barged into the Aqabeh village mosque, southeast of Jenin, opened fire in the place of worship and sprayed bullets toward neighbouring houses before turning the gun on himself and committing suicide.
No other casualties were reported in the incident.
The mosque was empty at the time. After the unexplained shooting, the Israeli army imposed a curfew in the village, a local resident said.
The Israeli army said the soldier was missing for several hours after leaving his base without any notice.
- Palestinian, Israeli soldier killed during Israeli raid on West Bank village
- West Bank: Palestinian fighter, Israeli soldier killed in clash
- West Bank: Israeli soldier, Palestinian man killed
- Five Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in West Bank
- Hamas claims killing of Israeli soldier in West Bank; Palestinian shot dead