Israeli Troops Close Rafah Border Point
Israeli troops closed the Rafah border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt on Monday, Palestinian officials said.
The army gave no prior warning of the closure of the checkpoint, deputy director of Palestinian border crossings, Sameer Haroun, told the Palestinian news agency, WAFA.
“Israeli soldiers prevented hundreds of Palestinian workers from crossing to the other side of the border,” he said.
Haroun told the agency that about “1,500 people on the Egyptian border are still wanting to cross into the Gaza Strip.”
The Israeli army had reported numerous grenade and rifle attacks by Palestinian fighters in the area overnight.
Palestinian security officials also said Israeli tanks and bulldozers moved into Palestinian territory near Rafah and destroyed two security posts, AFP reported.
No injuries were reported during the incursion – Albawaba.com
- Israeli Tanks Fire 20 Shells at Rafah in Gaza Strip
- Sources: Palestinians Clash with Israeli Forces Trespassing into Rafah
- Palestinian Dies of Heart Problems at Israeli Checkpoint in Gaza, as Israel Mounts More Incursions
- One Palestinian killed, 16 injured in southern Gaza Strip
- Israeli Army Takes Full Control of Rafah Crossing