Israel's Attorney General: UN Resolution 242 Says Nothing about Palestinian Entity
UN Security Council resolution 242 says nothing at all about a Palestinian entity, Attorney-General Elyakim Rubinstein said on Thursday, quoted by Haaretz newspaper.
"There was no such entity when the resolution was drafted, and there were no such immediate plans," he said.
Rubinstein was refuting various demands Palestinians have made in recent days about demanding a total Israeli withdrawal from the territories on the basis of resolution 242, said the paper.
He said there is no legal basis for comparing and adopting similar policies as those used with Egypt, Jordan, or Lebanon in the recent implementation of resolution 425.
Rubinstein emphasized that resolution 242 refers to secure and recognized borders. No such borders existed with the Palestinians while borders with Jordan and Egypt did exist, the paper quoted him as saying - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinians Slam Israeli Attorney General for Denying UN Resolution 242
- Israel's Attorney-General Intransigent on UN Resolutions
- Israel\'s Attorney General to Present his Position on Legality of Talks with Palestinians to Knesset Panel
- Barak Launches Harsh Attack on Attorney General over Right to Negotiate with Palestinians
- Palestinians: UN Resolutions should be Basis for Camp David Talks