Istanbul: Fire traps people inside theatre
A major fire erupted at an Istanbul movie theatre on Tuesday and an unspecified number of people were trapped inside, a news channel reported.
The fire broke out at an opening gala to mark the release of a new Turkish movie, NTV television reported.
Hundreds of people were inside the building when the blaze started, CNN-Turk television reported. Ambulances and police rushed to the scene.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known. Several women could be seen being carried out of the building, NTV said.
CNN-Turk said several people could be seen unconscious outside of the building and that thick smoke surrounded the theatre although no flames could be seen. Movie-goers, faces blackened with smoke, were being urgently evacuated from the seven-screen complex.