Italy Calls On EU to Normalize Relations with Libya
Italy on Sunday called on the European Union to initiate normalization of relations with Libya, reported the official Kuwaiti News Agency (KUNA).
Belgian foreign minister, Louis Michel, whose country chairs current EU session, announced the remarks during a news conference following an informal EU foreign ministers meeting in Genval, near Brussels.
Michel said his Italian counterpart, Renato Ruggiero, informed the ministers about Libyan leader Moammar Kadhafi’s desire to normalize and strengthen ties with 15-member union.
Ruggiero, who lately met Kadhafi, told colleagues that the Libyan leader wishes to introduce his country in the world trade mechanism, said Michel.
he pointed out that Ruggiero called on his European counterparts to review possibilities of normalizing and improving EU-Libyan ties.
Experts believe that ties are "complicated" between the north African Arab nation and the western states and America on grounds that Libya was opposing the Middle East process, said the agency – Albawaba.com
- Italian FM Welcomes Strong Trade Ties with Libya
- Italian FM to Visit Libya Sunday for Talks on Bilateral Issues
- Following Kadhafi, Mussa Talks: Libya Confirms Participation At Arab Summit; Libya May Postpone Arab League Quit Threat
- Italian Prime Minister visits Libya
- Italy Calls for Israeli Withdrawal from West Bank Areas