In Italy: Trial of Tunisian opens in chaos
The Italian trial of a Tunisian accused of belonging to a group with links to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network opened on Tuesday but was immediately adjourned in chaos.
Judicial sources said the trial of Lased ben Heni was delayed because neither the prosecutor nor the defense attorney had shown up.
Ben Heni showed his contempt for the proceedings in the Milan criminal court by refusing to stand at the beginning of the hearing, according to AFP.
The Tunisian national was arrested in Germany last year at the request of the Milan courts, which are investigating local terrorism links to Osama bin Laden.
Anti-terror police in March 2001 recorded a conversation between ben Heni and another Tunisian, Essid Sami ben Khemais, that they claimed touched on possible chemical weapons attacks in France.
Ben Khemais, aged 33, said to be the head of a logistical support cell for Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, was given five years in prison in February. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)