Ivanov Meets Palestinian Mahmoud Abbas
Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov pledged Saturday to keep Russia involved in the Middle East peace effort at the outset of a meeting with Palestinian number two Mahmoud Abbas, ITAR-TASS reported.
"Russia will continue to play an active role in the search for peace," Ivanov was quoted as saying.
Moscow "will do the utmost to try to end the violence," he said.
Abbas on Friday said Russia should play a leading role in the peace process, which shows little prospect of advancing following weeks of Israeli-Palestinian violence.
While Moscow is a co-sponsor of the peace process along with the United States, it has taken a back seat to Washington which has emerged as the prime mover and shaker in the diplomatic endeavor – MOSCOW (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- FM Ivanov: Moscow Rejects Concept of Humanitarian Intervention
- Mahmoud Abbas meets Pope Francis in Italy, urges unity with Christians
- Palestine will never recognize Israel as Jewish state, Mahmoud Abbas says
- Mahmoud Abbas to ask France for official recognition of Palestinian state
- Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas begins three-day visit to Egypt