Ivory Coast President to propose new peace plan
Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo launched a spirited defence of his regime in his New Year's message as he promised to win a three-month war against rebels holding half of the country.
Gbagbo's address came hours after the main rebel group made its first public declaration since the September 19 uprising, saying it was poised for victory.
Gbagbo said he would submit a new peace plan "from the first days of the new year" to national politicians and regional leaders to defuse the worst crisis in Ivory Coast's history. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- European Tour of OAU Chief may be Cut Short by Troubles in Ivory Coast
- Ivory Coast President Names transitional Prime Minister
- Efforts to save Ivory Coast peace agreement
- EU, US, OAU Call for Ivory Coast to Continue the Return to Democracy
- Ivory Coast: Senior member of FPI party calls on independent PM to resign