Jailed former minister granted amnesty in Iran
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Monday granted amnesty to ex-Interior Minister Abdullah Nouri who was in jail on charges of un-Islamic propaganda. According to IRNA, Khamenei pardoned Nouri after Majlis Speaker Mehdi Karroubi and a number of MPs urged the Leader to offer amnesty to the former minister of the interior.
In a letter to the Judiciary Head Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi, the leader said he had accepted calls from speakers and MPs to grant amnesty to Nouri who was deeply saddened by the demise of his brother, MP Ali-Reza Nouri, in a car accident in northern Iran a few days ago.
MP from Tehran Ali-Reza Nouri and MP from Khash, Sistan and Baluchestan, Masoud Hashem-Zehi were killed in a car accident on the Chalous road.
Abdullah Nouri was arrested in 2000 and was sentenced to five years in jail.
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Amnesty granted to former Iranian interior minister
- Iran’s Supreme Leader Pardons 409 Convicts
- Two Strong Explosions Hit Northern Tehran amid News of Amnesty
- Iran's Supreme Leader Pardons Jailed Reformist After Speaker Threatened to Boycott Assembly
- Iran executes three men convicted of killing prominent prosecutor