Jerusalem Mufti’s Invitation of Egyptian Clerics Angers Israel
The Israeli authorities reacted with anger at an invitation to Egyptian Muslim clerics by the Mufti of Jerusalem, Ikrima Sabri, without coordination with the Religious Affairs Ministry according to The Jerusalem Post.
The religious leaders were invited to recite passages from the Quran at the prayers in mosques, the paper said, quoting Rdio Israel.
A Ministry spokesman was quoted as saying they would take action against the Muslim clerics.
In Ramadan, Muslims pray Taraweeh, a fairly long prayer where parts of the Quran are read on a nightly basis, usually by prominent prayer leaders – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Mufti of Jerusalem Favors ‘Higher Muslim Council’ for Palestinians in Israel
- Mufti of Jerusalem: OIC has Done Nothing to Support Palestinians
- Mufti of Jerusalem Comments on Israeli Plan to Prosecute Him
- Egyptian government tightens grip on mosques
- Israel police question Jerusalem Mufti; Bus ''attack'' likely accident