Jerusalem Mufti Meets Syrian President
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad talked Wednesday with the mufti of Jerusalem, Sheikh Ekrima Sabri, on the situation in the occupied territories, a presidential spokesman said.
Sheikh Ekrima briefed Assad on "the situation in the occupied territories
and the struggle of the Palestinian people against the Israeli occupiers," said Gebran Kurieh.
The Syrian president "praised the struggle of the Palestinians against the occupation and reaffirmed Syria's support for the rights of the Palestinian people."
The mufti arrived Monday in Damascus and called Tuesday for the intifada, or uprising, against Israeli occupation to continue, in a meeting with the head of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), Nayef Hawatmeh -- DAMASCUS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Mufti of Jerusalem: Syrian President Promised to Recognize Palestinian Passport
- DFLP: Syrian Vice President Supports Intifada, Arab Break off with Israel
- Assad calls for Palestinian unity
- Syria Calls for United Arab Position on Jerusalem
- Syrian President Assures Arafat of Syrian Support for Palestinians