Jerusalem\'s Greek Orthodox Patriarch Diodoros Dies of Heart Attack
The Greek Orthodox patriarch of Jerusalem, Diodoros I, died in Jerusalem overnight of a heart attack, a hospital source said.
Diodoros, 77, died at the Hadassah hospital, where he had been hospitalized intermittently since December 8, the spokesman said.
There are some 200 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world, and the group represents the largest Christian community in the Holy Land.
The patriarchal of Jerusalem was established in the fifth century -- JERUSALEM (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- New Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem Elected
- Arab Clerics at Jordan’s Orthodox Church Want Top Positions at Jerusalem\'s Patriarchy
- Abbas backs decision to remove Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem
- Palestinian Clergy Shows Solidarity with Muslim Brethren in Qatar
- Eastern Catholic Churches Hold Major Symposium in Jerusalem