Jordan King calls on European Union to lead Mideast peace process
Jordan’s King Abdullah on Wednesday called on the European Union (EU) to play a more active role in the Middle East peace process, saying that chances for peace were still possible.
Speaking at the European parliament in the French city of Strasbourg, the Jordanian King said that the time has come for a strong involvement in the peace process.
"Let’s act firmly, it is urgent that Europe take the role of a leader" in the peace process, he said, according to the official Kuwait news agency KUNA.
He said that neither Israel nor the Palestinian authority could take the necessary steps to reach a reasonable final compromise.
"Peace is possible but we only can reach it if we work together and together we can give hope to our people," he made clear. "Time has come for a real peace. We need results, a real security, a viable independence and a hopeful future," he said.
He reiterated Amman’s full support for the peace package launched by the Saudi Crown Prince, which was endorsed by the Arab leaders in the Beirut Arab Summit.
The Jordanian king was in Strasbourg, as part of a European tour. (albawaba.com)
- Jordan king says Arabs need real reforms in addition to peace process
- EU Leaders To Call For Support of Saudi Plan; European Parliament Head: “Give Peace a Chance”
- Jordan’s King Starts Visit to France, Due in London Tuesday to Discuss Terrorism, Mideast Conflict
- Jordan's King Says Tourism could Help Middle East Peace Process
- Jordan’s King Holds Talks with French President, PM