Jordan will 'not be launching pad' for Syria attack - gov't
Jordan's government said on Wednesday that no US-led strike on Syria would be launched from the Kingdom.
Government spokesperson and information minister Mohamed Momani refuted claims that the US and its allies would use Jordan as a launch pad for an intervention against Syria, saying it "prefers a diplomatic solution to the [Syrian] crisis," AP reported.
Momani's made his comments amidst a flurry of Western leaders coming out in support of a strike against the Syrian regime and President Bashar Assad over allegations that government loyalists used chemical weapons on a residential suburb of Damascus last week.
The attack, most likely headed by the US, would use sea-launched cruise missiles to hit Assad's military targets.
On Tuesday, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters that the US was "ready to go" if the need to attack Syria arose immediately.
Jordan, which has taken in over half a million Syrian refugees since the crisis began in 2011, has worked hard to avoid engaging in deiplomatic tension with its northern neighbour.
- Lebanese army finds rocket launching pad targeting Israel
- Govts that deny human rights play into extremists’ hands: Obama
- US 'ready to go' on Syria strike - Hagel
- Syrian refugees flood into Jordan amid fresh claims of chemical attack
- Jordan reiterates objection to U.S. strike on Iraq, use of its lands to launch attacks