Jordanian Women Demand Release of Political Prisoners
Around 30 Jordanian women on Monday held a demonstration in the town of Salt, some 35 kilometers west of the capital demanding the release of "political prisoners", witnesses said.
"Around 30 or 40 women staged a sit-in outside the cultural center in downtown Salt and held up placards demanding the release of political prisoners," one witness said.
Another resident said the women were protesting the recent arrest of 11 men in Salt who are being investigated by the authorities in different cases concerning security issues.
Jordanian authorities have repeatedly said that the country is not holding any political prisoners - AMMAN (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lawyer: Syria Releases 3 Jordanian Political Prisoners
- Report: Two Saudi towns surrounded after protests
- Libyan Human Rights Group to Stage Demonstrations in Europe
- Syrian protestors stage demonstration calling for more ''freedom'', release of prisoners
- Ten Wounded in Clashes on Palestinian Prisoner's Day