Karzai Arrives in Saudi Arabia for Mecca Pilgrimage
Afghan interim premier, Hamid Karzai arrived in Saudi Arabia on Friday for a pilgrimage to the Islamic holy city Mecca. This is his first foreign trip as head of the Afghan interim government, according to Kyodo News.
Karzai flew into Jeddah by an Ariana Afghan Airlines flight and would make a pilgrimage to nearby Mecca. He plans to hold talks with King Fahd and Crown Prince Abdullah on Saturday.
On Sunday, Karzai is due to leave for Japan. Saudi Arabia will co-chair, along with Japan, the U.S. and E.U., an international donors conference on Afghan reconstruction, opening in Tokyo on Monday.
More than 50 countries and some international organizations will attend the conference. (Albawaba.com)
- Afghan Premier to Visit Saudi Arabia, Japan
- Afghan president to visit Saudi Kingdom, UAE, Qatar
- Afghan Interim Leader to Visit Iran
- Afghani president denies peace talks with Taliban started in Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia: Afghan Officials Involved in the Killing of Aviation and Tourism Minister Not Arrested