John Kerry to visit Lebanon
Mr Kerry is due to meet Iran's new ambassador to Lebanon, Mohammad Fathali, sources say (File/AFP)
John Kerry will visit Beirut Wednesday, according to media reports, making his first trip to Lebanon since becoming U.S. secretary of state.
Al-Jadeed television and LBCI said Kerry would meet with Prime Minister Tammam Salam during his visit to Beirut.
When contacted by The Daily Star, the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon could not confirm nor deny the reports.
The media office of Salam told The Daily Star that it did not have any information on such a visit and was waiting for the Cabinet session to conclude to ask the premier.
Ministerial sources told The Daily Star that Salam had an "important meeting" at 1 p.m. Wednesday with the new Iranian Ambassador Mohammad Fathali. The same sources said that Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil would leave the Cabinet session at 7 p.m. Tuesday to leave Beirut for a trip to China.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry arrives in Lebanon
- Hezbollah angered by Kerry's remarks on Lebanon
- US Secretary of State John Kerry (C) counts money as he visits the Mattrah souk
- Supporters of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign hold placards bearing the picture of Israeli Justice Minister Tzipi Livni during a demonstration in central London on May 15 2014, against her visit to the city. US Secretary of State John Kerry met with Isr
- Al-Jadeed TV office attacked overnight in Beirut