Khamenei calls to show leniency towards detained students
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Tuesday ordered judicial officials to show more leniency towards students who are in detention following the June and July unrest, IRNA reported.
Khamenei's instruction was issued in response to a letter forwarded to him by his representatives in universities, Mohsen Qomi, and in Tehran University, Mohammad Hassan Aboutorabi. The letter asked Khamenei to consider issuing a mandate for more leniency towards those detainees who did not have an active part in the demonstrations and have no connection with the real culprits who masterminded the demonstrations.
However, the Iranian leader stressed, it is the institutions handling the case of these detainees that will decide how clemency is is to be exercised. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Khamenei orders closure of detention center
- Khamenei: Restoring ties with the US means ''surrender''
- Report: Obama sent letter to Khamenei ahead of Iran election
- Iran’s Khamenei Orders Officials to Eradicate Organized Crime, Corruption
- Khamenei tells Arab leaders to count on Iran against Israeli threats