Khamenei says election to be held on time
Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei, on Wednesday stressed that the upcoming Majlis election will be held on February 20 without even one day delay.
Khamenei said the election is a manifestation of freedom and people's will. "The election is also a manifestation of presence and power of people in administering the country," he said, adding that presence of people in the election will show that the nation is master of "government, Majlis and all officials".
The Iranian government hopes the ongoing political crisis over the upcoming parliamentary elections could be solved by Thursday afternoon.
This solution would enable to hold parliamentary elections on February 20 as planned, government spokesman Abdollah Ramazanzadeh said Wednesday, cited by Reuters.
"We hope that by tomorrow afternoon [Thursday] we can reach acceptable results which could prepare the ground for the government to be able to hold the election," Ramazanzadeh told reporters following a cabinet meeting. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei orders probe as Mousavi rally held
- Iran’s Top Council Designs Method to Elect Members of Watchdog Body, Khamenei Gives Nod
- Israeli injured in Gaza Strip shooting attack as PA says parliamentary elections to be held ”on time”
- Lebanon's elections must be held on time 'at any price' - President
- Khatami says parliamentary elections to be held as planned