Kharrazi: Israeli Soldiers will be Freed only in a Swap
Three Israeli soldiers captured by the Lebanese Hizbollah group will only be freed in exchange for "all the prisoners" in Israel, Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazi said in Damascus Wednesday.
"Hizbollah's prisoners will only be freed in exchange for the release of all the prisoners in Israel," Kharazi said on arrival in Damascus, without specifying if was referring to both Lebanese and Palestinian prisoners in the Jewish state.
An Iranian embassy official, Ali Ahsan, told AFP that he left it "to the discretion of the Hizbollah leader", Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah.
In Beirut, Nasrallah's deputy said the Shiite Muslim fundamentalist group would accept the mediation of UN Chief Kofi Annan on the soldiers seized on the Lebanese-Israeli border on October 7.
But Sheikh Naim Kassem also told a press conference that they would not be freed without some form of exchange - DAMASCUS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Kharazi: Hizbollah Wants Release of all Detainees in Israel
- Hizbollah Chief Says Prisoner Swap Possible before Israel Votes
- Hizbollah Says no Objection to UN Mediation on Captured Israeli Soldiers
- Report: German Envoy in Beirut to Discuss the Issue of Israeli Soldiers Captured by Hizbollah
- Barak Rules out Negotiations on Hostages without News on Wellbeing