Khatami highlights support for Lebanese resistance
President Mohammad Khatami restated Iran's support for the Lebanese resistance as he met with opposition leader Walid Jumblatt in Tehran Sunday, warning that the ongoing crisis in Lebanon could further slip the country into another civil war.
"The possibility exists of an escalation of the differences and its degeneration into a civil war," Khatami said, adding that 'all means must be used to prevent this from happening so that Lebanon remains united and stable'.
According to <i>IRNA</i>, Khatami described the Lebanese resistance as a 'source of pride for the Islamic and Arab world', emphasizing the need for unity among all the Lebanese groups.
The Lebanese resistance, spearheaded by Hizbullah, was the key force behind an armed struggled that forced Israeli occupation troops out of southern Lebanon in 2000.
- Lebanese National Defense Minister meets Iranian president
- Khatami warns of Israeli schemes in Lebanon
- Khatami Says Three-Way Ties with Lebanon, Syria Key to Middle East Stability
- After meeting Khatami, Nasrallah says Hizbullah enjoys backing of Iran
- Peres: Iran Provided Hizbullah With 10,000 Long Rang Missiles to Destroy Israel; Khatami Calls to Boycott Israel