Khatami: US can't attack Iran, Syria
Iran's President Mohammad Khatami on Monday brushed aside speculation about a likely US attack against Iran and Syria, while he laughed off Israeli defense minister`s revelation about the his country`s plan to destroy Tehran`s nuclear capabilities.
"He made a damn mistake," the Iranian president retorted with a smile, when asked to comment on the statements made by Shaul Mofaz, who had been quoted as saying that 'the necessary steps will be taken if a decision is made to destroy Iran`s nuclear capability.'
According to IRNA, Khatami added "America is not in a position to realize its threats against Iran and Syria."
"If America manages to pull out safe from the storm which it has created in Iraq, it will be acknowledged as having done a great job," he conveyed.
Khatami described relations between Tehran and Damascus as "very good", playing down the US and Israeli threats against them. "There have always been threats against these two states. But we must remain together and do not give any pretext to them." (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Khatami: US not to attack Syria
- Powell Says Still Can’t Directly Link Arafat To Karine A; Arafat Takes Responsibility, Promises To Attend Arab Summit
- Iran DM says country can confront Israeli, US attack
- Iran expresses solidarity with 9/11 victims, but looks for U.S. policy change; Syria says Israel exploits tragedy
- Is Iran a rational state? Of course, says Fareed Zakaria