Kirkuk: Deputy governor injured in assassination attempt
Kirkuk's deputy governor, Ismail Ahmed Rajab al-Hadidi, said he and his driver were injured Sunday in an assassination bid by unknown gunmen.
Four gunmen sprayed his car with bullets in the city center at 7 pm (local time) before fleeing, Hadidi said from Kirkuk's general hospital.
He said he was wounded in the leg and that his driver suffered several "serious wounds", according to AFP.
Hadidi, a 48 year-old trader, became deputy governor of the city after U.S.-organised elections for a local city council last May. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Bloody day in Mosul as gunmen open fire on crowd
- Marine killed, four others wounded as deputy governor of Baghdad assassinated
- At least four dead in Iraq blasts
- Attacks against Iraqi security forces kill at least nine
- Bombing attack near offices of Kurdish party in Kirkuk kills at least four people, Iraqi politician shot dead