Kuwait Defence Ministry Sends Aid Convoy to Pakistan

Kuwait Defence Ministry Sends Aid Convoy to Pakistan
2.5 5

Published September 6th, 2010 - 08:59 GMT

Rate Article:

 
PRINT Send Mail
comment (0)
More >
Al-Hamad Al-Sabah
,
Jaber
,
Kuwait Ministry of Defence
,
United Nations
,
Defence Ministry

The Kuwait Ministry of Defence, headed by First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, dispatched an aid convoy to flood-stricken Pakistan earlier this week. The Defence Ministry assisted in the preparation and transfer of humanitarian aid.

"It is imperative that we help Pakistan recover during this time of crisis," Sheikh Jaber said. "The Kuwaiti convoy will bring necessary supplies to Pakistan and hopefully will work to alleviate the human tragedy occurring in its borders."

This is the second aid convoy coordinated by the Kuwait Ministry of Defence since massive floods hit Pakistan. Kuwait was the first Muslim country to pledge US$5 million to Pakistani relief, a donation that doubled to US$10 million at the U.N.'s appeal session, as recently announced by Ambassador Mansour Ayyad Al-Otaibi, permanent representative of Kuwait to the U.N.

His Highness the Amir Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah affirmed Kuwait's commitment to ongoing relief efforts during a speech to the nation on September 2.

"We feel great grief over the unprecedented disaster of the floods in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which claimed thousands of lives and rendered millions homeless," the Amir said. "Kuwait reacted promptly as usual in such humanitarian crises. It offered all possible assistance to Pakistan and raised funds for the victims of the floods with all citizens and residents in Kuwait hurrying to offer help. I'd like to thank all those who contributed to the success of the relief effort for Pakistan." 

Advertisement

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.