Kuwaiti Girl Appeals against Acquittal of Attackers
A Kuwaiti female student, who claimed to have been attacked by men for not wearing the Muslim hijab (headscarf), has appealed after a court acquitted the seven assailants last week, reported the English daily Gulf News, quoting the student's lawyer.
"She is the victim and she will fight to see justice," lawyer Ibrahim Kandari told Gulf News in a telephone interview.
He said student's family was devastated by last Monday's verdict and have decided to use all legal means to see the men punished, said the daily.
"The verdict was absolutely wrong. The family believes in Kuwait's justice system and will continue the fight," he added.
On Monday, the judge acquitted the seven men, who were initially charged with violently beating the student, partially on grounds the student's testimony was riddled with inconsistencies and that she failed to identify all her attackers, according to the daily.
Press reports on the court hearings said the woman admitted she was not beaten in Kuwait University's parking area for not wearing the hijab, but that the seven men found her with her boyfriend in a remote chalet.
The men beat her and took away their mobile telephones to teach her a moral lesson after warning her several times to stop seeing him in the chalet, said the reports.
Kandari was quoted as saying that he will know by the weekend whether the Court of Appeals will hear the case. The family will be able to go to the Court of Cassation if the Appeals Court upholds the earlier verdict, according to the daily – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)