Kuwaiti Islamists Protest Women Soccer Tournament
Islamists in Kuwait have demanded the cancellation of a women’s soccer tournament, due to kick off on Monday, because it violates Islamic teachings.
Al Naba’ Arabic daily cited the overall leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, Abdullah Mutawe’, as saying that such event is un-Islamic, and might lead to a bad reaction in the Kuwaiti conservative society.
The competition is organized by Kuwait University, which has invited 12 teams representing Arab and international institutes.
Meanwhile, an Islamist MP suggested that matches be conducted in closed hall and men banned from watching because “seeing women’s bodies is haram.” He called on the minister of education to interfere and make sure that the tournament is held within the limits set by Islam, stressing that the Kuwaiti society “will not allow using sports as a means of humiliating woman’s dignity or imitating western societies.” – Albawaba.com
- 1.3 Million dollars bought the Kuwaiti women's soccer team a 0-33 defeat
- Kuwaiti Women to Protest Suffrage Discrimination
- Kuwaiti Protestors Take to Streets to Support Palestinians
- Islamist, pro-gov’t members defeat liberals in Kuwait Parliament elections
- EU to check Egypt's prepartions for Meridian soccer tournament